Our Commitment to the Environment
Today, more than ever before, our clients expect us to behave as an environmentally responsible member of the business community. For over 25 years, Balmar has been recycling paper, reclaiming materials, and using inks made from vegetable oil rather than petroleum products.
Today, our environmental commitment extends further to include:
- Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC®) Chain of Custody Certified FSC® C010897
- A complete line of FSC-certified house stocks available to our clients
- Use of water-based aqueous coating and vegetable-based inks in lieu of petroleum-based varnishes and inks
- Elimination of all photographic film and associated chemistry
- Achieving over a 93% recycling rate (top 10% in our region) with over 1.8 million pounds of recyclable printer’s waste and over 50,000 pounds of metal plates in 2007
- Reducing VOC emissions in our pressrooms
- Using new waterless printing methods
- Using completely digital print processes that dramatically reduce the paper waste associated with conventional press make-ready and spoilage
We also assist our clients in making environmentally sound choices when specifying new projects, with a focus on paper stocks, paper weights, trim sizes, ink coverage, coatings, and production methods.
Balmar is committed to managing all of its operations using environmentally sound business practices. We are also committed to continually exploring new technologies and processes that help us achieve our goal of reducing our footprint on the planet.